The current referral system doesn’t get much usage. Why?
- Not all referrals are attributed, especially when logging in via Lightning (we’re working on a fix)
- Referral codes aren’t added to URLs by default (most people don’t bother adding their code or clicking the share button)
- “referrals” and “affiliates” are terms with shady connotations, people may feel uncomfortable about going out of their way to add their referral codes to earn sats
To fix these issues, we must improve attribution and eliminate barriers to participation. How?
- By default, all SN URLs should have referral tags appended when stackers are logged in (an opt-out toggle could be made available in settings)
- If a new stacker isn’t attributed to a referrer, the 2.1% of their earnings that would otherwise be directed to their referrer gets directed to the rewards pool (this is how it works today)
- Once the new stacker has begun zapping content, 2.1% of their future earnings will be directed to the last person they zapped
- Stackers will also have an option in their settings to direct their 2.1% fee to a specific stacker indefinitely (attributed referrals will work like this too, where the referrer is picked by default with an option to direct sats elsewhere)
- This is kind of like a donation, but instead of donating your own sats, you’re donating a portion of the fee Stacker News takes on all zaps
Under this system, every stacker who has ever zapped will be paying 2.1% of their future earnings to another stacker behind the scenes.
This should significantly increase referral payments, and will enable seamless referral gifts that happen without stackers taking any action.
Would love to hear any feedback on this idea!